Comparing Endless with Ubuntu

I wonder if anybody has compared Endless with Ubuntu and come up with a comparison chart? I’d be curious to see how well the various Linux manifestations compared among each other.

Ubuntu and Endless are both based on Debian, so there are structural similarities. The main Ubuntu distro uses Unity desktop, while Endless is based more on Gnome. So the Endless interface is most similar to Ubuntu Gnome. Both desktop environments make heavy use of Gnome applications.

Endless is more locked down to prevent a user from getting the OS into an unstable or unusable condition. That results in an Endless user relying either on the Endless Software Center or flatpaks to install new applications. Users with special needs (or wants) will feel constrained with the more limited software.

Endless is focused on a productive environment with more limited internet access and does a really fine job with that. It has easy to use productive tools, as well as lots of entertainment and education opportunities available right out of the box.

bill

1 Like

I being Ubuntu user for couple of years; the best part of ubuntu is ease of DE. I looked for distros coming close to android type of UI. Tried deepin and others, KDE is bloated; but loved endless for its ease and security of not breaking the core. But again, it lacked right tools. I wish they can bring in Fedora RPM conversion tool to Endless in a better form. New user should just select or type in application name the rest is taken care by the functional tool to make a flatpak file (end result). I love unbuntu as it has both the favors but still Endless DE is the best. I can create on Desktop a folder and add particular icons in folder and organize with ease my desktop that’s the beauty of Endless and secondly it is fast on my acer aspire 3 with AMD A9/Raedon Graphics. It works like a beauty; but handcuffed not to use it or unless i have two system on my laptop in the worst case.