Deleted Partition - can't boot now

Hello community,

I have a new laptop with preinstalled Endless OS, I wanted to delete it and install windows 10 so I (stupid me, I admit it) deleted all partitions with file system ext4 (main partition and swap) from ubuntu life usb.

Afterwards I can’t load my multiboot usb (made with YUMI). It is displayed in bios (I have asus bios utility 203) under usb ports, but I can’t choose it as boot source.

I would appreciate any help.

1 Like

If you have a problem starting up your laptop and it wasn’t caused by Endless OS, trouble booting from USB is really an issue you need to follow up with the technical support of your laptop manufacturer.

One guess which may help: You might need to disable secure boot in the firmware settings in order to boot an external USB if it’s not been set up with UEFI secure boot correctly (although if you’re running Windows, I recommend either the official Microsoft tool or something like Rufus to make an EFI bootable USB, so that you can actually switch Secure Boot on and get the protection it offers from viruses/malware). Alternatively, you can try to edit the boot order in the firmware settings, and erase Endless OS from that list, and put the USB device first, in case it’s getting “confused” trying to access something on the HDD

And, for future reference: You probably didn’t need to do any extra step removing Endless OS, because you can just boot directly to the Windows installer, and use it to just reformat the entire drive / delete all partitions and let it make whatever new ones it wants.

1 Like

Thank you for a fast answer.

I reformatted my laptop with USB, created via Endless OS tool. Now I can at least boot into the system (Endless OS).

So the problem was probably with another partition with unknown type, created by endless OS.

As a conclusion for somebody with the same problem:

1. download Endless OS installer
  2. create bootable USB with this installer (light version is enough)
  3. put USB into the port and wait for loading screen. I hadn’t pushed any button.
  4. When asked, choos “reformat my system”, choose your USB as source, choose your hard drive as destination.
  5. Wait for the process end
  6. take usb out, reboot
  7. now you have bootable endless OS, so it is good point to start again whatever you wanted to start.
1 Like