Dropbox it's not working

Hello. I simply wanted to let you know that dropbox is not working. Maybe you’ll find a solution.
Cheers.

Hi! We’ll take a look. Thank you for reporting!

Hi any update on Dropbox. I want to use it now.

Hi @imranmd2009, we’ll take a look but it’s going to take a couple of days.

Hi!

Drop box gives error, you are using old version of dropbox, kind download new version.

@adilipraju
Anyway, something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command: eos-diagnostics
  3. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

@adilipraju this is a known problem, we’re working on it. No need to get us a log.

Although this is an old topic, I just wanted to point out that we have since fixed Dropbox and are actively keeping up to date as new versions become available. There was a period during which we were transitioning to a new (better supported and more stable) mechanism for handling applications like Dropbox where the application needs to be downloaded directly from the service provider, and during that time we were not able to upgrade the app and the version we were installing had become too outdated to work. Then, we had some problems with launching the file manager after completing the transition to the new mechanism. All those problems are now fixed, so Dropbox should be working reliably at this time. If you haven’t done so recently, please be sure to update the application from the app center. And, if it ever stops working in the future, please try to update from the app center in case a newer version has become available and is required to access the service. (Unfortunately, we do not automatically update the application at this time.)

Roddy

2 Likes

Thanks ! it is working absolutely fine.

1 Like

I recently installed Endless version 3.1.3. I installed Dropbox, but it will not open. When I click the icon, nothing happens. All installed apps are updated to the current versions. Can anyone point me to a fix? Thanks!

@G8rStew
Anyway, something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ‘Terminal’
  2. In this application run the command: eos-diagnostics
  3. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

Greetings. Attached is the requested eos-diagnostics file. Thank you
for any assistance you can provide.

eos-diagnostic-170317_093550_UTC-0400.txt (250 KB)

1 Like

Greetings. Attached is the requested eos-diagnostics file. Thank you
for any assistance you can provide.

eos-diagnostic-170317_093550_UTC-0400.txt (250 KB)

1 Like

@G8rStew Thanks for your report. It appears that Dropbox recently changed their mechanism used to set up the account credentials. They used to open a small app window, which was working reliably on Endless. Now, they are opening a web page in the browser, which is not working reliably on Endless. Testing on a machine where I had not yet set up Dropbox, I was able to reproduce the problem. Then, while debugging, I did see the configuration tool open in the browser once, but after closing the browser I’m no longer able to get the configuration tool to run.

For what it’s worth, there is no impact to users who already configured Dropbox before the latest update, and this is probably why we missed seeing the problem during our testing of the latest update.

I think this is something that we (Endless) need to fix on our end, and we’ll investigate further.

In the meantime, please try the following…

Open a terminal window and enter the following command:

/var/lib/flatpak/app/com.dropbox.Client/current/active/files/extra/.dropbox-dist/dropbox-lnx.x86_64-21.4.25/dropbox

In my testing, this appears to reliably launch the configuration tool in the browser. It will take a few seconds, but the browser should open to a Dropbox page that will ask for your email and password. Once you have provided the login credentials, the file manager should open and your folder will start to sync. After this one-time configuration step, subsequent attempts to launch Dropbox should work as expected (starting the service to synchronize with your account and opening your Dropbox folder in the file manager).

Let me know how that goes.

Roddy

Thank you for your effort and information. Your terminal command
worked great! Dropbox is up and running as advertised. Thanks again!

1 Like

eos-diagnostic-180311_081048_UTC 0530.txt (448.4 KB)