How Far Are You Willing to Go With Your Computer?

I cried when I ran across your website. You accomplished about half of what I wanted to do in creating a system to educate the children of the world. I have a number of questions the first of which is: Now that you have created a simple computer are you prepared to take the next step? Your endless mini is just a plastic ball without power, a screen/monitor, or a keyboard. Not everyone has a TV, access to power, or a keyboard. The other half of the equation is a computer that comes with all that and more. You make a lot of assumptions that don’t always apply. Let’s just start with the basics, can the user read? And, if not, can the computer teach the person to read? Can the computer talk ( www.jibo.com ) well enough to teach some not just how to set up the computer, but so they can learn the basic educational level needed just to operate the computer? A thousand questions keep popping into my mind. Can your computer be powered by solar panels and batteries? Will it ever come with a monitor and keyboard? Dropping your computer on some of our current enemies would be more effective than all the bombs we have dropped so far. But, we are back to your computer is just a plastic ball without power, a screen/monitor, or a keyboard but some of the people I’d love to see your computer dropped on don’t have any of that stuff or the education to even use your computer. Can your $99 or $189 computer be hooked up to an external storage device, personal cloud storage or external hard drive? I am looking for a computer for our mobile office that doesn’t need to be connected but has the power to run an A.I. and still have all the knowledge of the internet and then some. The tech is out there that would allow a small village to create its own mini internet but we have not really sat down to see what it would take to put it all together. So, I ask again, are you willing to take the next step? It is one thing to create a computer for developing countries, but what about the undeveloped areas of the world? It is those people who need a computer or some kind of teaching device even more. Education and the lack of access thereof is one of the biggest problems in the world. Keeping people in ignorance is how governments control their people and you don’t have to live in a 3rd world country for that to happen. I have always dreamed of a standalone system I could drop in the middle of a rain forest that could teach children and adults to read and then open a world of knowledge to them. I am only one person for the moment. You have a small part of the equation I need, and I know that part I can get for free, but I don’t have the designers, engineers, and technicians with the skills to help design and build the rest of the system. I want to save the whole world not just parts of it that is easy to get to. It is the remote hard to get to areas of the world I want to reach. So, can I get you to take the next step and create a low cost computer that can come with its own power system. monitor, keyboard and mouse. All parts sold separately or as part of an upgrade package that would allow your computer to be used anywhere in the world at any time.Think flexible keyboards and screens.

4 Likes

the endless laptop… i like it.

1 Like

Thanks for your long and thoughtful message, Ron!

The first thing to say is that it’s great to come across others who share our dream and vision of helping to bring computing everywhere. The second is to say is that we can’t accomplish our dream alone, and we need people like you, and many others, to achieve the dream that we share.

Endless is focusing on software, and is building the platform that can have the reach you mention. We created our own hardware initially to launch Endless OS, and to help drive down the cost of hardware. We wanted to show people that hardware could be inexpensive and beautiful, and wanted to establish a design standard so that Endless OS is associated with beauty and luxury, despite being low cost. Unlike Apple though, we are not a hardware company, and we plan on establishing reach by enabling Endless OS to run on a wide variety of hardware instead of just on our own (which is opposite of what Apple does). To that end, we’ve already begun shipping on Asus and Lenovo and so there are already laptop versions available for purchase.

We are working hard to make Endless OS compatible with ARM products because we want to enable a lot of inexpensive hardware to run on Endless, and this is quite exciting to us. Imagine Endless being able to run on things like CHIP, the $9 computer (although CHIP and other ultra-cheap hardware have limitations and sometimes hidden costs). We recognize that there are a lot of people out there focusing on the hardware part of this equation and are eager to partner with them to make a difference.

You mentioned the challenge of power and electricity. We’ve begun to talk to organizations that are doing awesome things with solar panels, and with other technology that can help empower some of the potential users you mention. We will also need to partner with those who are experts in this area since we are not.

As for literacy, I personally see an opportunity for accessibility technology (e.g. screen reading, which already exists) to help here, and I am also really interested in finding content that can help teach our users to read and interact with the computer. We’re working on app building blocks, so to say, to help us and others be able to make cool/useful/beautiful apps easily so that we can make apps that are powerful and dynamic. This is in the works. And with version 3.0, we’re one step closer to making it easy to make apps for Endless, since we moved over to using Flatpak, a technology that will make it easier to amplify and leverage the Linux app ecosystem.

Endless is meant to empower users, but is not meant to be an end-all solution. By that I mean that human interaction will absolutely be needed. With Endless, teachers can have more tools to engage students and teach them how to read, and Endless community members can organize events to help with things like adult literacy. Our own Ground team has already run some really successful classes for teachers in Guatemala to learn how to leverage computers in their classrooms, and we’ve seen how important the in-person outreach is firsthand.

We are only just starting. You’re part of the beginning, and it is only with your feedback, with your expertise, and your hopes and dreams that we can make Endless OS really worthwhile. We appreciate your feedback and we hope to work along with you to truly empower the whole world.

5 Likes

I LOVE ENDLESS OS!

Good day! BTW before anything else I would like to introduce myself. Hi I’m Julius 23 years old an independent graphic designer from the Republic of the Philippines. It was yesterday when I came across to your page or shall I say an advertisement while browsing on my Facebook account.

To be honest Endless OS hook me a lot not just only of its feature but most importantly its goal in helping people learn how to use the computer. Not all computer computer has the same kind of goal, and I mean it. I know computer is our main tool in operating everything on this world. Through computer we work for a simple school homework up to managing multi million company. In short computer help everyone building their own dreams. But have you ever wonder what else can computers do? Sad to say most people nowadays are so lazy coz they’re already hook by the things they do on the computer. Instead of studying everyone is getting addicted in all kinds of games made for PC. Now Endless OS is actually bringing computers to the bright side of technology and that is to help people build their dreams using computer.

I’m so happy to know the Endless OS comes up with hundreds of apps for all ages. And technically this program is meant for educating the people. By tapping up through the help of various organization to support its vision everything gonna be possible. I know this is just the beginning for Endless OS and I believed that it will grow.

Lack of Keyboard/Power Supply and Monitor is no big problem. Like in our country those hardware are accessible to everyone at low cost even a Grade 6 student can save their money to buy one these hardware but I know someday Endless OS will work on it.

To Endless OS team I’ll be glad to support your OS here in our country I’ll try to start and build our community here so we can bring your technology in our country. My sister is working as a Grade 3 teacher and I will definitely share this to her once she return on our home during the semester break.

Julius Martin Tolosa
Graphic Designer
Philippines
+639774406625

4 Likes

Thanks for your support, @Julius_Martin ! If you ever want to chat about how we can support your efforts, join us on Slack or share your ideas on the contribute category of the forum!

hi all … i guess the system its okay. but about hardware, always be there some inssue at linux world, because hardware are projected for microsoft consumers… one idea its to make some old release ofr old pcs, but i guess theres a lot of linux dristros… so, looks nice for begginers this system. im trying and testing at a i5 6th gen, over a msi milytary blab bla bla 32 mem ram… ssd… nice… but i run the live usb… thsk,

1 Like

The question is one of being able to create some kind of storage that can expand on Endless OS database while enabling a potential A.I. to grow and learn and store its memory without sucking up the limited memory of your computer. Could I even plug in a 500GB or 1TB external hard drive? What about compatibility with touch screens or VR? And, what about DVD players?

@rbchandler, I’m still not sure what you mean about AI, but I can answer some of your other questions:

Yes, you can plug in an external hard drive as long as you are running Endless OS on hardware that has the appropriate USB port. Endless hardware comes with three USB ports each so you can plug in a keyboard, mouse, and another device.

Endless is compatible with touch screens, but we are working to enable a touch screen keyboard. I use a Lenovo Yoga laptop myself, and it has a touch screen. I don’t use the touch functionality much, but it is enabled in case I need it.

If you want to use DVD-R players for storage, a USB-connected one should work just fine, much the same as an external hard drive. However, we don’t support video DVDs right now.

I’m still not sure what you mean about AI

AI or A.I. - artificial intelligence. Virtual Assistant like Denise, Siri, Cortana, Call Mom, etc. able to interact with the user, search, open, close, and use all of Endless’s programs among other things. I am intrigued by stand alone systems. I believe it is our stand alone systems that will survive humanity and possibility save humanity in the end. What will these systems have to say about us? Will they be merciless killing machines or benign helpful teachers? Will they be holograms or will they have physical form (androids)?

The secret to A.I.s like humans is that they must remain open to new learning experiences and additional programming as needed. The level of sophistication of any A.i. may depend greatly on its form and function. Something designed to teach K - 12 should be at a much higher level of sophistication than an intelligent microwave oven. For a system designed to turn on the moment you open the door and then to go on to open and inspire young minds without once connecting to the internet would be priceless. Like children, A.I.s must be taught and they must reside somewhere in a digital environment. Can it be done on, or with an Endless computer? That is the question.

1 Like

could a human turn into an A.I?

@rbchandler Endless isn’t focusing on building and developing AI technology. We definitely do not limit what our users create and hope that some of them will indeed take on great challenges like building and designing advanced technology like AI, VR, etc. Endless OS is a tool that can be used in many ways, so in answer to your question:

The answer is yes. If the programmer is knowledgeable in those areas, then the sky’s the limit and Endless can absolutely be used to develop AI and VR technology.

1 Like

@CREDWARD: sure they can, for Halloween! For example, someone could dress up as the lead robot in Ex-Machina :slight_smile: It’s a really interesting movie, btw, in case you haven’t seen it!

2 Likes

well thank you for the answer… I have watched Chappie a couple of times and I now have the dvd of Chappie. That is why I wanted to ask. If we can do the same stuff that is in the Chappie Movie, then we can do the same stuff in real life!

1 Like

DVD player get VCL player from endless app store AND PUT IT ON YOUR DESK TOP.no problem works fine if you know how to use it.

1 Like

True… Very True…

1 Like