I can not install on my old laptop

I can not install the Operating System on my old laptop.
I tried the forum in Portuguese but could not find a solution.

EndlessInstaller20170203_23_28_44.log (80,4 KB)

Original Post
https://community.endlessm.com/t/problemas-ao-instalar-em-notebook-antigo/1417/5

I’m sorry but I am not fluent in Portugues ;-(. However a possible answer is found in the attached log. **“other software is using the embedding area, and there is not enough room for core.img. Such software is often trying to store data in a way that avoids detection. We recommend you investigate”

If you don’t understand basically it is trying to start a write in the next step at sector 63 which I presume is normally not occupied by other application or feature. I would presume also the developers know Windows well enough to be sure that under normal circumstances sector 63 should normally not have anything written to it. You can see the OS dev(s) have included information to help you try and find out what it there. It could be spyware/malware and all kinds of bad code. Basic computer security would dictate after getting the message in the log that you (if you can) create a boot disk that has a way to scan for the bad stuff first. If it doesn’t find anything they it is probably a 3rd party program that is to blame. Another option could be back up all the important data on your computer. Completely erase the hard drive, re-install windows, restore your files, then attempt the installation again. If it were me my biggest concern would be to see if your pc is infected and stealing, or taking part in things that are illegal. It happens. I have someone who just got hit with the Locky CryptoWare virus a real mess for sure simply because windows updates were not allowed to install, anti-virus and malware software was not installed or had expired subscription. It is everybodys responsibility to know basic security practices regards personal pcs. It isn’t necessary to understand the technology only that you have to be responsible to have protection in place and updated. In this situation this is a Doctors office and the patient records and a bunch of stuff are all encrypted with it having jumped to other computers on the internal network. Now rather than having paid pennies on the dollar it is going to cost this doctor serious money to go through and wipe all the computers, reinstall windows server and the proprietary software just to be able and do business.

I understand you may not want to do this or know how but it needs to be done…

@ArielFN This is a known issue in the installer. It is not a virus on your machine.

On BIOS systems like yours, we install the Endless OS boot loader (GRUB) to the “gap” between the partition header in sector 0, and the first partition. We’ve got this stage of the loader as small as it can be, but there’s not always enough space. You have the FlexNet license manager installed, which also makes use of one of these spare sectors – see this article on Wikipedia for a little more information. This leaves only 62 sectors spare, and we need 63.

We’re planning to switch to a different method of installing the bootloader on BIOS systems in future, but for now I’m afraid you won’t be able to install Endless OS on this machine.