Issues with running OS on PC

Hi Endless Community,

I installed the OS on my PC and have had a few issues, as described below:

Device: Microsoft Surface
Default OS: Windows 10
Endless OS version 3.1.2.1

Installation of Endless OS seemed normal until I restarted the computer. I expected to but didn’t see a selection menu for Windows/Endless. I restarted about 4 times in total, shutting down the device entirely 2 of those times before booting up again, but I didn’t encounter a way to choose to load Endless.

I didn’t touch the device again for a couple of days, but when I did, I did reach the OS selection menu. I selected Endless and everything seemed to function normally.

However, the same day, after turning the device off and then turning it back on a few hours later, I encountered another issue. Upon boot up, my device goes to the Aptio Setup Utility rather than the OS selection menu, and it won’t let me save and exit. I’m not certain that this is related to having installed Endless, but this has never happened on the device before, so I thought I’d report the issue to see if you’ve seen it before and can help. Happy to send screen shots, etc. if that helps.

Thanks,
Bettina

As a quick update, some Googling got me to a thread that helped me get out of the Aptio utility. Here, if it’s helpful for anyone else:
http://www.tomsguide.com/answers/id-1854127/solve-problem-aptio-setup-utility.html

I think everything’s working normally again, but hopefully this is still useful as a bug report. Thanks!

2 Likes

Hi, this is an interesting problem. Some screenshots would be useful, as would a few more pieces of info:

1. In the folder holding the endless-installer.exe you downloaded, you should find a log file named like EndlessInstallerYYYYMMDD_HH_MM_SS.log (where YYYYMMDD will be the log date and HH_MM_SS will be the log start time). Please attach that here.
  2. If you still have Endless OS installed and can boot it, please follow these instructions to get a debug log https://support.endlessm.com/hc/en-us/articles/208416346-How-do-I-make-a-debug-log-of-Endless-OS- and attach it here.
  3. If you still have Endless OS installed, please open a Terminal and run sudo efibootmgr -v | tee efibootmgr.txt . You will need to enter your login password. Then attach the efibootmgr.txt file to this thread.

Hi Will,

I’ve attached the installer log here. I’m having issues getting you the
other two files because of another problem I’m finding. While in Endless,
I can’t seem to connect to my wireless network. It’s not a hardware issue,
as I’m connected to my wifi while using Windows. In Endless, the system
detects my network, I enter the network key, but then I’m prompted to enter
it again ad infinitum. I can’t find a thumb drive/external memory to save
the files to, but I’ll try to find something. It would also be great if
you could give me some tips on how to troubleshoot the wifi issue.

Thanks,
Bettina

EndlessInstaller20170302_10_17_14.log (270 KB)

The wireless hardware is probably not currently supported by Endless OS. To troubleshoot this we’ll need the eos-diagnostics output! You could take a look through that to see if there’s anything interesting in there.

You should be able to copy the files into your Windows drive:

• Open the file manager, Documents
  • In the sidebar, click Other Locations
  • The main pane should have an entry for your Windows drive; clicking it should open it up

If there’s no entry for your Windows drive – there’s a known issue which prevents it showing up, which will be fixed in the next Endless OS release, but of course if Endless OS can’t connect to the network, it won’t be able to automatically update… In that case, you’d need to use a USB stick to get these files out.

Hi Will,

Sorry for the late response. In good news, seems like my wifi issues are
network-specific. I’m attaching the debug log here. Having issues getting
you the efibootmgr.txt
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=b5f78d537b&view=att&th=15ac41f19dbb785f&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=f_j073yy6p0&zw
file
though. I’m prompted to enter my password, but I can’t actually type it
in, even having messed with keyboard settings (and of course, I was able to
type the command in right before the password prompt). Still, I hope the
debug report helps.
https://mail.google.com/mail/u/0/?ui=2&ik=b5f78d537b&view=att&th=15ac41f19dbb785f&attid=0.1&disp=safe&realattid=f_j073yy6p0&zw

Thanks,
Bettina

eos-diagnostic-170307_211731_UTC-0500.txt (248 KB)

@Bettinahuang when sudo prompts for your password, nothing is shown on the screen as you type your password: this is normal, if confusing! Once you hit Enter, the command will proceed (or show an error if you get your password wrong).