On getting started with Endless OS

Hello,

Are you okay? My experience with this OS is being very rewarding, I also want to congratulate the great work of the team.

Some observations:

Installation

I managed to get the full version on my pendrive 64GB, but when I go enjoy the system on my notebook, good wheel, but I thought it would have an installation option, you can install?

advice

Another thing, as I am a developer still growing, I could not find tools or even install in Endless OS, for example Netbeans actually the system root does not allow me to do this kind of modifcaçãono system, such as installation of external packages . I wonder if I can enter the Debian software channel and be able to install the packages that we can install in any linux. For example: Netbeans, Eclipse, Atom, CodeBlocks, Geany, QtDesign, Apache2, Vagrante, Docker, Git and …

I once again congratulate you for the beautiful work, also wanted to know whether it would be viable you develop a system that besides the tools they already have, add development tools and also gives free installation of other software channels like Debian for example . I know the purpose of the project is the digital inclusion, but would be interested to build a portable tool for developers a clear opinion.

Sincerely,
Railson Santos.

Thanks Railson,

We have two installation options - if you have a Windows computer, you can run our installer under Windows and it will set up Endless alongside Windows as a dual boot system.

If you want to totally replace your system with Endless, you can also set up a “reflasher USB” which will replace the OS (and all apps/files/etc) on your computer with Endless. You can create these reflasher USBs using the Windows program and selecting “advanced install options using a USB”. If you already have an Endless system, you can also create one of these USBs using the script, eos-write-installer. For example if your USB disk is /dev/sdb you can open a Terminal and run “sudo eos-write-installer -l /dev/sdb” and it should download the latest release and create a USB for you.

Creating them on non-Endless Linux systems isn’t very easy at the moment unfortunately. If you are proficient with Linux, our installer is actually very simple - all it does is uncompress and dd the image over your HDD - which you can do manually from any other Linux live USB if you wish. Repartitioning/resizing to use the whole disk is taken care of automatically the first time Endless boots up. We’re working on various things like making it easier to create the installation USBs, as well as creating a live USB which lets you both try and reflash your computer with Endless, as well as ISOs which will make it easier to create Endless bootable media from other systems.

For your other point about apps/developer tools - we’re also working on providing more developer tools for people to write apps for the OS as well learn programming as well as target other systems, but it will be a while before we have anything ready here. However with the Flatpak app bundling system, we support installing Flatpak apps from anywhere - you will need to use the “flatpak” command to add repositories manually, but they will appear in the App Centre after this.

Hope this helps!

Thanks,
Rob

Hello,

Good Morning. Thank you for respota, I am satisfied and I’ll be cheering for system optimization, while I am enjoying its best in my pendrive. Great job and congratulations to all the team Endless OS.

I also would be interested to enter such a project here in the laboratories of Brazil school, help and would help many people.

Sincerely,
Railson Santos.

1 Like

Anybody have DPKG lock, no apt-get commands run in terminal. Anyway to unlock the apt-get update.

dpkg and apt-get are included in our images because they’re used to assemble the OS, but they don’t work while running Endless OS, as you’ve discovered. The base system is a read-only OSTree and apps are installed using Flatpak.

It Will be more interesting the development of a full version with apt-get dpkg, for others computers, while many programmer not develop in flatpack.

Att

-----Mensagem Original-----