Search bar using Chromium instead of Google Chrome

Hello all, just downloaded EOS3.1 and installed it on my machine without any problems. I noticed that the default option now is to install Google Chrome instead of Chromium. That’s fine but when I use the search bar to search something, it is using Chromium instead of Google Chrome. This seems like a simple enough fix. Have I missed something? I am pretty sure the default application is Google Chrome. Any help is appreciated. Thanks.

1 Like

@NahsiN Hmm… I’ll look into that. Chromium used to be the default browser for all users, and we made Google Chrome available only recently to help with codec issues. I don’t know if we’ve added support for Chrome as the default browser in the global search bar. I’ll let you know what I find out unless someone else beats me to it.

1 Like

@nuritzi @NahsiN

@NahsiN: If you make Google Chrome the default browser (can be selected when you first launch Chrome, or can be changed from the Settings --> Details --> Default Applications --> Web), it will be used on the desktop search instead of Chromium.

There is currently one minor bug, though, that you need to restart the computer before the new default browser setting will actually take effect. (Actually, to be more precise, you need to restart the desktop shell, which can be accomplished without logging out by hitting Alt-F2 and then typing r and hitting enter.)

Roddy

1 Like

This is what I was missing! I restarted the shell and now I reproduce Leandro’s result. Thanks everybody for their help.

2 Likes