Problem with creating USB / uninstall

it creates the usb just fine, it just won’t boot from it even when specifically told to do so. i used the endless-installer to uninstall your OS, and now my computer won’t boot at all. at all…

Uh oh, very sorry to hear that. We can help you sort it out. The first
thing to try: Depending how new your computer is, if you have a BIOS with
EFI, you should be able to hit a key at boot time and find a boot menu, and
one of the entries on there should be Windows Boot Manager and that will
take you right in to Windows.

If you don’t see that in the list, you’ll need to boot your system up from
a live USB. If the Endless live USB doesn’t work for you, you can try
another Linux such as Ubuntu or Fedora. If you boot up another Linux please
open a terminal and send us the output of “sudo sfdisk -d /dev/sda” and we
can work out the right instructions to get you up and running again.

We’ve never experienced problems with the uninstall process if the
installer has worked, so once we get back into your computer it would be
great to see if we can find the log files and figure out what went wrong,
and make sure it doesn’t affect anyone else. What make/model of computer do
you have and what version of Windows are you running?

Thanks,
Rob

Yeah it’s “hit esc for boot menu” when i hit esc, the line highlights
and then…that’s it. just stays highlighted. (hp elitebook 6930)
it won’t boot from anything, so i’m guessing endless corrupted the MBR?
none of the endless usb’s work for me, and no there’s no log file for
that, whether i created them on linux or windows utilizing a number of
programs for that kind of thing.
i’m no longer putting any effort in getting endless running on any of my
machines. there is no access to data created in it, and no way to
upgrade/repair it when broken. i might check back with y’all in a couple
years to see how things are working
thanks for your time and hard work
Mk

@MC_King Well there’s one issue at least - I don’t know what programs you’ve been using to create USBs but the only supported ways to make bootable Endless USB stick on Windows is with our Windows program, where you click ‘advanced options’ on the first screen and it presents the options to create a live or a reflasher USB. This program creates a log, which is what I was asking for. On Linux you can follow the instructions on our FAQ but basically it boils down to one of eos-write-image script on Endless, GNOME Disks or zcat | dd. Not sure what else you tried.

I can’t tell what’s happened with your boot menu however, all that the Endless installer does is write Grub to the first 440 bytes (ie the MBR) and the rest to the boot track (up to 31k after this), preserving your partition table etc and skipping parts written to by other programs, exactly as grub-install does with any other distro. The uninstaller restores a backup of the MBR which is taken when the install process runs, so I don’t know what kind of corruption could have taken place. Are you able to boot from any other Linux USB besides Endless? I can give you the files/instructions to write a working Windows MBR from a Linux system, and can help access your files on Endless as well as figure out what went wrong. Would like to get you back up and running but also understand any problems so we can prevent them for others.

Thanks,
Rob

(you should always be able to boot from USB whatever is on the internal hard drive MBR/etc - you may need to go into your setup and change the boot order so that the USB device is booted first before it tries the HDD, or even temporarily remove the HDD from the list if it’s getting upset /confused by it for some reason)