EOL | Endless OS 4

Endless OS 4 is now considered end-of-life; please upgrade to the latest release, Endless OS 5.1, for continued updates and fixes.

Endless OS 4 was a long-term support (LTS) release, supported for over 2 years. We may re-evaluate the need for an LTS release as it aligns with our partners and mission, but don’t currently have plans to announce.

We’ve added instructions for leaving the LTS release to continue receiving updates to EOS 5 and beyond.

Since I’m new in this community I’m not sure if my question is on the right place. Maybe it needs to be moved.

My question is: how can I stay on OS4? I have issues with the boot of OS5 (there are some failures, I will try to make a screenshot tomorrow in the morning) and it never comes up. It’s an ACER Laptop.
At the moment I’m selecting the old version every morning. and - I have tried to stop the automatic upgrade, but it doesn’t works.

I need the Laptop for working via Internet only. That’s why the old version would be enough.

many thanks!
Christin

So - I have catched the error message while booting the laptop with OS v5:

would be nice if somebody could tell me the reason for the message and if it’s the laptop itself (too old???)

Many thanks and kind regards,
Christin

If you’ve already upgraded to Endless OS 5, you’ll first want to boot the previous version as you’ve been doing. Then, you can follow these instructions (specifically the “On an existing system” section) to remain on Endless OS 4—though note you will no longer receive OS-level security updates (but you’ll continue to get security updates for your apps, like your web browser).

It’s possible you’re hitting an issue with Intel RST Optane storage; this was initially broken on Endless OS 5.1, but was later fixed in an update—so it’s possible that booting into Endless OS 4 and then downloading the latest update could fix it. You can learn more in the draft Endless OS 6 release notes.

Good Morning Cassidy,

many thanks!

I was following the instructions and got the attached messages.

Rebooting the system I thought I have to choose the OS4 as I’ve always done in the morning but it seems os5 is deleted now from my installation.

Is this right?

Last installed OS5 version was 5.1.2. So I will have a look at OS6 release notes to be sure that my laptop is secure for the future.

Kind regards,

Christin

sorry - now with attachment…

Good Morning Cassidy,

many thanks!

I was following the instructions and got the attached messages.

Rebooting the system I thought I have to choose the OS4 as I’ve always done in the morning but it seems os5 is deleted now from my installation.

Is this right?

Last installed OS5 version was 5.1.2. So I will have a look at OS6 release notes to be sure that my laptop is secure for the future.

Kind regards,

Christin

Linux-terminal.jpg