Great install with a few bugs found while using Endless OS

The Endless OS installer worked flawlessly on my Thinkpad X220. Endless OS was installed along side Windows 10 in a UEFI setup on a GPT formatted hard drive. It was very nicely done and much appreciated. All the special Thinkpad features were recognized and are being utilized by the system. It makes a great first impression when everything just works.

In using Endless OS I have come across a number of what I believe are bugs. I have not thoroughly researched them in the forum, but if already mentioned I will simply add them as a me too.

When I go to the support section of the Endless OS website, there is orange text ā€œSigninā€, which I assume is where one logs into the community (maybe not). When clicked a login window appears. Entering my credentials and clicking submit does nothing except just freezing the site making it necessary to reload. That is using the built in browser in Endless.

Battery life is ~25% less than on Windows. Linux generally does poorer than Windows, but can be brought mostly up to par with Windows using something like ā€œtlpā€. I am just assuming that is not installed on Endless nor does it appear as an option to install. Maximizing battery life/run time is a good thing.

A couple things might well be up stream issues. The Weather application often reports an internet connection is needed, when in fact the internet connection is working fine. Also the Weather application does not honor the system preferences for units. It just reports metric units. Shotwell (Photos) still lists Picasso Web Albums for publish. I do not know if that automatically redirects to Google Photos or not, but Picasso Web Albums are a thing of the past.

When adding ā€œweb sitesā€ a check mark is placed by what you wish too add, but once added it is not possible to click the check mark and remove the site. Along the same lines there does not seem to be an obvious way to remove an application. Applications can be removed from the desktop, which perhaps hides them, but once installed it appears you are just stuck with them.

Special keys (brightness, sound, etc) stop working at times. They can be reactivated by going to the keyboard shortcuts preference pane to change them at which point Endless pops up a messages saying they can not be changed and after doing that they start working until at some point they once again just stop working.

None of these effect the overall quality of the system, but they are distractions. Overall the system is pretty darn fine.

bill

@wove
Anyway, something that would help us a lot to understand the problem would be this:

1. Open the application called ā€˜Terminalā€™
  2. In this application run the command: eos-diagnostics
  3. The above command will create a file with the information of your system (example: eos-diagnostic-160614_111731_UTC + 0100.txt); Send us this file so we can analyze and see a possible solution

@wove Thanks for the feedback.

Iā€™m not sure what the sign-in is supposed to do on the support website, but that is really confusing. Iā€™ll forward that on to our web development team.

We are evaluating options for improved battery life, including tlp.

Yes, the weather app is in pretty bad shape at the moment, and you are correct that the units are hard-coded to Celcius. We will soon be replacing it with GNOME Weather for a better experience.

To remove a weblink from the desktop, you have to drag the desktop icon to the trash can. Same for applications. You can permanently remove flatpak applications from the device from within the App Center. Some applications are shipped as part of the core operating system (via OSTree) and cannot be removed from the device.

Volume and brightness keys stop working while the taskbar dialogs are open. Iā€™m not sure if that is what you are seeing.

@LeandroStanger Thanks for your willingness to help, but I donā€™t think there is any need for an eos-diagnostics in this case.

Roddy

@roddy Thanks for the information.

tlp has worked very well for me for a long time using Fedora and improved battery life is very nice.

I did generate the eos-diagonstics file. I never send computer generated log files without reading through them first to make sure they are safe to send. Interestingly the file does note that weather needs improvement and it will be improved with a new update. Gnome weather started out rather poorly, but it has improved greatly.

I think the volume/brightness keys problem for me might be mostly a usage related matter. It seems that it is really necessary to hit the ā€œfnā€ key first then hit the other key. A simultaneous press of the keys appears to mostly be what keeps the proper functions from working. Could be an event issue or a timing issue. I looked for the various input files, which I thought were generally in /etc, but I could not find them.

That web site sign in thing could be some odd bug from Chrome. Wacomā€™s Inkspace has a similar signin link that also fails and hangs the browser, forcing you to find another way in. Websites should be leary of people looking for another way in :slight_smile:

Have a good evening.

@LeondroStanger

Thanks for taking the time to respond

bill

1 Like