Problem with Dual Boot: unable to mount root fs

Hi again…

I have these problem in another computer.

Could you help to solve it without uninstall EndLess?

i am getting the same message for block(1,0)
installer will not create a bootable usb to vainly attempt to fix it
looks like the only way is to erase all our work and reinstall
if this is going to happen everytime, i am hesitant to reinstall it ever again
it would be nice to have a few emergency prompt commands at our disposal, or maybe some tips on editing the grub so we can update

Hi folks, it looks like we’ve run into a bug with the endless.img file being corrupted by something happening in Windows. Unfortunately at this precise moment, we don’t know what. One guess is the NTFS defragmentation process, which is scheduled to happen automatically on Wednesday night - but if it is this, we don’t know why it’s causing a problem for us. We should be able to read our file off disk wherever NTFS puts it. Is anyone able to create a bootable USB and help us by running some commands to try and figure out what happened to the Endless files?

@MC_King: Are you facing a separate problem creating a bootable USB? Can you send the .log file for this?

Cheers,
Rob

5 posts were split to a new topic: Problem with creating USB / uninstall

Hi ramcq…

I have a bootable USB. It works fine, but not the EndLess installed on the computer.

Wich commands do you need to run?

Hi Neil,

Could you do the following from a bootable USB:

• Mount your C: drive (using GNOME Disks, for example)
  • Take note of its mount point (probably something like /run/media/[username]/ABCD-EFGH)
  • Download this script
  • Run it as ./dump-last-few-sectors.py /run/media/[username]/ABCD-EFGH/endless/endless.img, substituting the mount point for your C: drive
  • Post the output here

This will hexdump the last kilobyte of the image file holding Endless OS. At one point we saw a bug where the end of the file was zeroed out – so it would be interesting to know whether you have zeroes at the end of the file, a valid partition table footer, or (hopefully not!) some other data.

As an update for people who face this issue: We’ve found a bug today in the code which sets up reading endless.img (the Endless OS disk image) from the NTFS C: drive when you boot into Endless on a dual boot system. Windows defragments your drives automatically on a Wednesday night and it looks like the way that Windows (re)arranges things triggers the bug. We’re investigating but unfortunately, until we’ve come up with a fix you won’t be able to access your dual boot system.

How to fix rescue model

Hey everyone. This bug has been fixed in 3.0.5 which was released earlier this week. If you uninstall Endless, you can reinstall it using the latest installer, available at https://d1anzknqnc1kmb.cloudfront.net/endless-installer/endless-installer-v3.0.5.1.exe and the problem shouldn’t re-appear. Apologies for any inconvenience.

1 Like